YCharts 101: Account Set Up and Customization
Just like different investing strategies, investment research tools come in a range of shapes and sizes. When searching for a solution that meets your needs, you’ll likely consider ease of use, research capabilities, customization features and affordability, among other factors.
YCharts combines all of the above—a modern and intuitive interface, high horsepower tools, customizable sales enablement materials, and an attractive price point—with unrivaled customer service to enable smarter investment decisions and more meaningful client relationships.
To meet the ever-changing needs of financial advisors, asset managers and self-guided investors, we incorporate user feedback and industry trends directly into the YCharts platform.
Whether you’re exploring a free trial or you’ve been using YCharts for years, these are some of the most impactful and dynamic features that help you extract maximum value from the platform. Scroll through each section below or click on a topic to go straight to that section.
Set Up Your Dashboard
Your YCharts Dashboard gives a holistic yet personalized view of the market with intraday price quotes, charts, and data for all of the stocks, mutual funds, ETFs and portfolios you closely follow. Since you choose the securities and information to display, your Dashboard keeps you abreast of the most relevant market movements for you and your investments.
Add Watchlists of your most important stocks or funds
1. Click +Create a New Watchlist in the top-left of your Dashboard then select a security type — choose from Equities, Funds, Indices, Economic Data, or Model Portfolios.
2. Name your Watchlist — segment Watchlists in whatever manner works for you; some popular Watchlist ideas include “Stocks in My Portfolio” or “ETFs We Recommend to Clients.”
3. Enter company names or tickers — suggested results will appear as you type, click a suggested result or type a ticker like “AAPL” and press Enter on your keyboard.
Add Charts to your Dashboard
1. Click +Create a New Chart in the top-right of your Dashboard.
2. Name your Chart — use a name that matches the information your chart will show, like “Major Index Performance” or “P/E Ratios for Top Tech Stocks”.
3. Add your securities — type to search for a ticker or company/fund name; suggested results will appear below.
4. Pick metrics — use the Browse menu to see what’s available, or type the name of a data point like “Total Return Price” or “PE Ratio”
5. Under Options, check the Normalized (% Change) box to format data as a percent change over time; to plot data in its original format, leave the box unchecked.
Build A Model Portfolio
YCharts Model Portfolios enable you to compare your recommended strategies to a prospect’s current portfolio, visualize nearly any portfolio metric, and easily manage all of your strategies and benchmarks. Model Portfolios give you in-depth data and visuals for any basket of securities, making it the perfect tool for testing new investment ideas and adjusting strategies on the fly.
How to Upload and Create Your Portfolio
1. Click Tools in the top banner then select Model Portfolios in the dropdown menu.
2. From the Model Portfolios List page, click Create then Blank Model Portfolio in the upper-right corner.
3. Add your Portfolio details — select a Name, Description, Advisory Fee (if applicable), Benchmark, and Rebalancing Period.
4. Upload or type in your holdings — click Upload Data to add a .csv of your portfolio holdings and percent weights, or type to search for each ticker and enter weightings under Add Portfolio Items.
Do Even More with YCharts Model Portfolios
1. From any Model Portfolio Quote Page, click the Performance, Allocations and Holdings tabs to dig deeper into period returns, sector and fixed income exposures and other portfolio-level statistics.
2. Click Report in the upper-right of a Model Portfolio Quote Page to generate a customizable PDF breakdown of your portfolio’s performance and stats. For better sales conversation materials, customize Portfolio Reports with your firm’s colors, logo, disclosures and more using this YCharts Customization Form.
Explore Pre-built Templates
Nearly every YCharts tool features dozens of pre-built templates that kickstart your investment research and help you find new opportunities in the market. Based on input from advisors and investment best practices, each template is a pre-canned analysis that supports common strategies like value, growth or dividend investing. Templates are also a great resource for ramping up your knowledge and use of YCharts tools and features.
Templates in Screeners
2. From the Stock Screener, click New Stock Screen (unsaved) then select the first option, New from Template.
3. Choose from categories like Growth, Value and Specialty to see pre-built screens (or Equity, Fixed Income and more in the Fund Screener).
Templates in Fundamental Charts
1. Click Tools in the top banner then select Fundamental Charts in the dropdown menu.
2. From Fundamental Charts, click New Stock Screen (unsaved) then select the first option, New from Template.
3. Choose from pre-built charts that visualize trends in Major Asset Classes, Equities and Economic Data.
Create Visuals in Fundamental Charts
While most investment charting tools are limited to price, YCharts lets you visualize any metric, from alpha to z-score and everything in between. Using Fundamental Charts, compare performance and valuations for multiple stocks, investigate trends in the market, and create client-friendly visuals with your custom colors and firm logo.
Fundamental Charts Overview
1. Click Tools in the top banner then select Fundamental Charts in the dropdown menu.
2. Use the left control panel to build a chart and select formatting options:
• In the Securities field, type to search for security names, fund and company tickers, or economic indicator names.
• Type to search for Financial Metrics you’d like to add or click Browse to see all available metrics by category.
• Use the Data Format and Panel Layout options to adjust how data is presented in the chart.
• Set the chart’s time period using the lookback period options just above the charting field, or use the Date Range selectors to define start and end points.
3. Click Presentation View – On/Off at the top right of the page to switch between the interactive and presentation-friendly views.
4. Click Export to download a sharable chart image and see print options.
Find More Insights Faster Using Quickflows
When evaluating a portfolio, stock, mutual fund or ETF, use Quickflows to easily carry your analysis between YCharts tools. Quickflows streamline your research and keep you organized by condensing highly impactful workflows into single-click efforts. The analyses that Quickflows enable draw on industry best practices and feedback from experienced YCharts users, helping you conduct high quality research with less time and effort.
Single Security & Comparison Quickflows
2. Click Single to see pre-built research views for individual stocks, funds or portfolios.
3. Click Comparison to evaluate 2-12 securities in a head-to-head analysis of performance, valuation and more.
4. To learn about more functionality, check out our Quickflows blog post.
Tour our Economic Data Sets
The best investment strategies use assumptions based on high quality economic data. To help your portfolios outperform, YCharts gives you access to more than 600,000 economic data series that add context to market movements and help you make predictions. All leading indicators and economic reports on YCharts are sourced from reputable institutions like the Federal Reserve, Bureau of Labor Statistics and world-renowned universities, to name a few.
Economic Indicators Homepage
1. Click Data in the top banner then select Economic Indicators in the dropdown menu.
2. Under Economic Indicator Categories data sets are organized by topic, country or state, and source.
3. On the right hand side, an abridged Economic Calendar shows recent and upcoming economic prints, all linked to respective indicator pages. Click View Full Calendar to expand.
Connect with YCharts
©2020 YCharts, Inc. All Rights Reserved. YCharts, Inc. (“YCharts”) is not registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (or with the securities regulatory authority or body of any state or any other jurisdiction) as an investment adviser, broker-dealer or in any other capacity, and does not purport to provide investment advice or make investment recommendations. This report has been generated through application of the analytical tools and data provided through ycharts.com and is intended solely to assist you or your investment or other adviser(s) in conducting investment research. You should not construe this report as an offer to buy or sell, as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or as a recommendation to buy, sell, hold or trade, any security or other financial instrument. For further information regarding your use of this report, please go to: ycharts.com/about/disclosure